The Department was set as the part of the Institute of Sociology from the time of its foundation in 1990.
The field of research activities involves:
- the studies on theory, history and methodology of sociology;
- theoretical-methodological and historical aspects in the development of the world and Ukrainian sociology;
- sociological studies on social development, (post-)modernization, democratization and globalization;
- studies on phenomenology and the sociology of life-world
- sociology of conflict
- sociological conceptualization of the post-Soviet transformation of the Ukrainian society’s development
- the issues of the development of sociological knowledge, reflection and expertise;
- the interrelation of sociology with society and the power, the issues of public
The research unit under the supervision of Prof. V.I. Tarasenko is focused on the studies of rural sociology and of social aspects of agrarian reform in Ukraine.
Head of Department: Volodymyr Reznik, Doctor of Science in Sociology, docent.
- Valeriy Pilipenko - Doctor of Science in Sociology, Professor, Leading Research Fellow
- Viktor Stepanenko - Candidate of Science in Philosophy, Ph.D. in Sociology (University of Manchester, UK), Leading Research Fellow
- Valeriy Kazakov - Candidate of Science in Sociology, Senior Research Fellow
- Andriy Maliuk - Candidate of Sociology, Senior Research Fellow
- Alexander Shulga - Doctor of Sciences (Sociology) Senior scientific associate
- Irina Marinich – Candidate of Science in Sociology, Junior Research Fellow
- Tatiana Zagorodniuk – Candidate of Science in Sociology, Junior Research Fellow
Technical Stuff: Luydmila Etenko, Iryna Vengerchuk – leading sociologists